Sometimes a quick-and-dirty estimate is all you need to arrive at a go/no-go decision about a fiber extension.
Few municipal or community broadband providers can hire full-time sales engineers who are on call to provide same-day estimates. Paying dedicated sales engineers is expensive, and pulling outside-plant engineers off billable projects is disruptive to the provisioning process.
Having the ability to provide a timely ballpark estimate for fiber installation allows a broadband operator to qualify leads faster and enables it to focus its limited resources on viable opportunities.
We use Google Maps to walk you through mapping points of interest, high risk areas, areas of opportunity, proposed fiber routes and using your measurements to come up with ball park estimates.
Please find resources for the DIY Fiber Mapping and Estimating Workshop below.
- Google Account creation page.
- Google My Maps home page.
- Sample Access Points Spreadsheet.
- Google My Maps App download from Google Play store.
- DIY Fiber Mapping article in Broadband Communities Magazine May/June 2016.
- DIY Fiber Estimating article in Broadband Communities Magazine November/December 2016.
- DIY Fiber Estimating Spreadsheet, is a great starter template.
- Workshop slides for DIY_FIBER_MAPPING_AND_ESTIMATING.